Our Vision and Mission Statements
Our vision is that Idahoans choose to live.
Our mission is to reduce suicide in Idaho through statewide advocacy, collaboration and education in best practices.
About SPAN Idaho
Welcome to SPAN Idaho. Your visit to this site tells me that you have probably been personally affected by suicide and that you are interested in helping to do something to prevent future suicides. SPAN Idaho exists to help you and others become better informed, enabled to recognize the warning signs of suicide and have the tools to help those who may be at risk of suicide.
Participants in the 2006 SPAN USA event walk through
the Capitol Mall to remember those lost to suicide.
I want to personally invite you to join SPAN Idaho as a member and become active in suicide prevention and survivor support efforts in your local community through involvement in local and regional suicide prevention groups. Contact information for local groups is available on this web site. We also encourage you to review the materials in the SPAN Idaho Suicide Prevention Tool Kit on this site.
Death by suicide is a preventable public health issue in Idaho. You can help make a difference in someone's life.
Please feel welcome to contact a SPAN Idaho board member, staff or regional contact if you have further questions or need assistance.
John Hathaway, Co-President
Idaho Suicide Facts and Stats
International Suicide Survivors of Loss Day
November 22, 2014 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
ISU Meridian Campus
1311 Central Drive Meridian, ID 83642
Site Organizer Rubie Gallegos
In 2012 Idaho had the 8th highest suicide rate in the nation, 44% higher than the national average.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for adolescents and young adults in Idaho.
- In 2013, 308 Idahoans completed suicide.
- In 2013, 65% of Idaho suicides involved a firearm.
- Between 2009 and 2013, 79% of suicides in Idaho were by men.
- 15.8% of Idaho youth attending regular public and charter high schools reported seriously considering suicide in 2013. 7.0% reported making at least one attempt.
- One million people die by suicide each year worldwide.
[Read More Facts and Statistics About Idaho Suicides]