Idaho Suicide Facts and Statistics
- Idaho is consistently among the states with the highest suicide rates. In 2011 (the most recent year available) Idaho had the 11th highest suicide rate, 39% higher than the national average.
- In 2013, 308 people completed suicide in Idaho.
- Between 2009 and 2013, 79% of suicides were by men.
- In 2013, 59% of Idaho suicides involved a firearm. The national average is 51%.
- 15.8% of Idaho youth attending traditional high schools reported seriously considering suicide in 2013. 7.0% reported making at least one attempt.
- In 2011, there were 39,518 deaths by suicide in the United States, an average of 1 person every 13 minutes.
- It is estimated that suicide attempts in Idaho result in $36 million in costs annually. Idaho’s costs for suicide completions annually is over $850,000 in medical care alone, and $343 million in total lifetime productivity lost. (Idaho Suicide Prevention Hotline Report, Idaho State University IRH, 2010)
Groups at Highest Risk in Idaho
The rate of suicide completion in Idaho is: 17.9 per 100,000 persons (2011)
- For Native American young men, age15-17 the rate is 115.8, and for age 18-24 it is 88.1 (1992-2001)
- For elderly males, 75 years and over the rate is 81.2 (1999-2001)
- For working age males, age 18-64 the rate is 25.8 (1999-2001)
- For teenaged males, age 15-17 the rate is 22.5 (1999-2001)
Results of the Idaho Youth Risk Behavior Survey
The "2013 Idaho Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS): A Healthy Look at Idaho Youth" is based on a survey of 1,886 9th through 12th-graders in 52 public high schools across the state in the spring of 2013.
- 29.4% of high school students reported that in the previous 12 months they felt so sad or hopeless almost every day for two weeks or more that they stopped doing some usual activities.
- One in seven high school students and one in four 9th grade females reported seriously considering suicide in the previous 12 months
- During the previous year 13.0% of high school students reported having actually made a plan about how they would attempt suicide.
For the latest data on suicide in Idaho, download the Suicide in Idaho Fact Sheet.
||About Adobe PDF Files: If you cannot read our documents in downloadable PDF format, please click Get Adobe Reader and download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader!